High-tech turned to high hell for a teenage girl whose iPhone charger allegedly burst into flames while in her bed, leaving her with severe facial burns.
Amie Hall, 17, was nodding off early Thursday morning when she noticed a bright orange blaze radiating from her duvet.
“So 2 a.m. this morning I was lying down as you do on my phone. Plugged in my charger and it set alight,” wrote Hall — who lives with her parents in Birmingham, England — on Facebook.
“My bed cover/duvet set on fire and also caught my face. This isn’t even a cheap charger, it’s an Apple charger.”
According to Jam Press, Hall jumped out of bed, narrowly evading the flames. Despite her quick escape, she did suffer a nasty burn on her right cheek.
“I ran out of my room and shouted [for] my mum, and luckily, she managed to put out the fire without the need to call the fire brigade,” Hall said in a statement.
“The burn was very sore, but I know it could have been more serious. The flames just caught me as it burnt through my duvet.”
Hall is now advising others against charging their phones in bed overnight.
“Please don’t go to bed and leave your phone charging overnight,” the teen warned on Facebook, captioning grisly images of the fire’s damage to her face and bedding.
“If I was asleep, this could have been a lot worse and this could have set my whole family home up with all my family in,” she added.
“Please be aware that this can happen to anyone and could be a lot worse. It’s dangerous. Please share.”
It’s unclear whether Hall’s charging system — reportedly consisting of an Apple cord and non-brand wall adapter — or faulty wiring in her family’s home may have caused the blaze.
However, a spokeswoman for Apple released a statement in the wake of the incident, saying: “Apple takes customer safety very seriously, is in touch with the customer and looking into the matter.”
The company has also published tips on safe charging practices, noting that restoring a phone’s battery in poorly ventilated spaces or where moisture is present could create a fire hazard.